Friday, November 7, 2014

Richard Thompson - The Ghost Of You Walks


Richard Thompson is one of my all time favorite songwriters. His gift for clever and touching wordplay is unrivaled, and he makes me want to be a better writer every time I hear him.

As one of the founding members of the British folk rock band Fairport Convention in the 1960's, Thompson broke ground in that fledgling style of music along with other performers and groups such as Pentangle, June Tabor (who performs a stunning version of his song "Strange Affair" with guitarist Martin Simpson), Maddy Prior and many more. As a duo with his ex-wife Linda Thompson and then as a solo artist, he has produced a wonderful body of work.

I treasure the musical moments of my own life, and I'll always keep a Richard Thompson tune or two in my back pocket to play when I jam with others. "Valerie" is a favorite, as is "Waltzing's For Dreamers." I fail to do them justice, but I play on, regardless. Us musicians can be stubborn that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment