Saturday, March 12, 2016

Music of the moment: The Sahara of Snow (parts 1 and 2) - Bill Bruford


"The Sahara of Snow" is from the amazing drummer Bill Bruford's album "One of a Kind," a recording that I almost wore out in my car's old cassette deck (yeah, I drive a very old car, and I have very old recordings on cassettes, and I feel no guilt about this). This melody is quoted very nicely in a recording by a faux group named Stanley Snail on a Yes tribute album. Their cover of the Yes song "Siberian Khatru" is as good as the original, and in some ways...dare I say it...a little better. Check out the Bruford track first, then listen to the middle break in Khatru. You prog fans will be pleased, I think.

Bruford's group includes:
Bill Bruford - Drums and Percussion
Jeff Berlin - Bass and Vocals
Allan Holdsworth - Guitar
Dave Stewart - Keyboards and Synthesizers

Stanley Snail's lineup includes:
Nick D'Virgilio - Drums, High Vocals
Mike Keneally - Guitars, Mid Vocals
Kevin Gilbert - Keyboards, Low Vocals
Bryan Beller - Bass


Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, or whatever day you happen to find yourself inhabiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment