Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Sufjan Stevens - Angels We Have Heard On High


That's right...it's become a two-post day.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of Christmas music, simply because I've heard so many of the old standards so many times over and over through the years. But once in a while, something pops up and surprises me.

Thanks to Vin Scelsea's show "Idiot's Delight," here's my most recent surprise. There will be more on Vin in tomorrow's post, as he figures prominently in the course of discussion.

Sufjan Stevens has recorded a number of Christmas songs over the course of his career, often rewriting them, revising them, adding new lyrics to make them a much more personal of an expression of his own sentiments. His reworking of "Angels We Have Heard On High" is a beautiful example of that.

Finally...I've found a Christmas song that I can actually enjoy without wanting to choke someone to death with a bowl of figgy pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment