Monday, December 8, 2014

Michael Torke - Adjustable Wrench


Yeah, the graphic is pretty damn stupid. But the music is fantastic....

I do not like the music of Phillip Glass.

I'm sure he is a fine and decent person. I've seen a few of his interviews and a brief documentary, and he seems to be an interesting gentleman. But I do not enjoy his music.

Yes, I love minimalist music. Terry Riley's composition "A Rainbow in Curved Air" is one of my all-time favorites. Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" is a stunning work. Michael Nyman's score for the Peter Greenaway film "Drowning By Numbers" is a perfect companion to the fantastic cinematography.

Yet Glass leaves me cold.

But this isn't about Glass, or any of those other composers. This is about another music search that took me years to complete. The piece in question is called "Adjustable Wrench," and the composer is Michael Torke.

I caught the tail end of a performance of "Adjustable Wrench" on public radio. and I loved the piece immediately. It broke the rules of the stodgy classical music I heard on NPR, and I loved that.

And I never heard that piece again. Dammit. Another search.

After years of combing the classical music bins (shallow fare for us real fans, by the way) I found a CD of Michael Torke (I didn't know how his name was spelled until I found the CD) with the recording of "Adjustable Wrench." I was elated. I played the piece over and over.

Minimalist does not mean less music. In fact, there is a lot of music in the minimalist movement.

And I found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment